400g Kavring bread (or other dark, soft, sweet loaf)
150g melted butter
550g matjes herring, (reserve the brine)
2 medium red onion, finely chopped
500g sour cream
9 tsp gelatin powder
1-2 tbsp of sill brine
0,5dl chopped chives
0,5dl chopped dill
Spring form tin or any other pie tin with detachable bottom Cling film
Serves 10-12. Decoration: Dill and chives, finely chopped.
1. Crumb the Kavring. Melt the butter, mix in with the crumbs.
2. Press down the crumbs into the form - like when you do a cheese cake - and put in the fridge while you assemble the filling.
3. Chop the matjes sill finely and mix with the finely chopped onion, quark and soured cream. Add the brine and pepper. Taste.
4. Heat the water and mix with the gelatine powder
5. Add the gelatine to the filling. Mix well.
6. Pour the filling on top of the bread crumb base, cover with cling film and let set in the fridge for at least 4 hours.
7. When ready to serve, take the cling film off and decorate with the chives and/or dill.